Aardvark Newsletter No. 19
Inside this issue:
- · Air duct cleaning basics and benefits
- · Chimney cleaning basics and benefits
- · Dryer vent cleaning basics and benefits
Air Duct cleaning basics:
- Air-duct cleaning generally includes cleaning all parts of a heating and cooling system, including ducts, registers, grills, diffusers, heat exchangers, coils and drip pans. Services also typically include motor and housing cleaning. Providers use physical cleaning methods such as scrubbing or brushing and chemical methods such as biocides and sealants to clean air duct systems.
- Air-duct cleaning can provide health and financial benefits to homeowners. Dust and other debris build-up in the heating and cooling system of a home encourages mold and bacteria growth if moisture enters the system. This causes health problems and allergic reactions in some people. Dirty systems also run less efficiently; clean systems usually break down less often and last longer. Cleaner, more efficient systems require less energy to operate and thus lower energy costs for the homeowner, according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association.
Chimney cleaning basics:
- Your chimney–and the flue that lines it–may add architectural interest to your home, but their real function is to carry dangerous fireplace, wood stove or furnace gases and smoke safely out of your home. A chimney helps your household air stay breathable…just as your windows and your bathroom, attic and kitchen vents do. Unlike those other exhaust points in your home, however, fireplace and wood stove chimneys need a special kind of care. As you snuggle in front of a cozy fire or bask in the warmth of your wood stove, you are taking part in a ritual of comfort and enjoyment handed down though the centuries. The last thing you are likely to be thinking about is the condition of your chimney. However, if you don’t give some thought to it before you light those winter fires, your enjoyment may be very short-lived. Why? Dirty chimneys can be a fire hazard. Chimney fires can damage structures, destroy homes and injure or kill people.
- As energy prices continue to rise, the presence of a fireplace raises the value of a home by about $12,000, according to the National Association of Realtors.
Dryer Vent cleaning basics:
- Restricted airflow, lint build-up and moisture cause overheating that prevents fast drying action. When this happens, the temperature limit safety switches cycle on and off continuously and will fail over a period of time. The higher costs of operation and possibility of a dangerous dryer fire.
Benefits of cleaning your dryer vents::
- Saving money on your electricity bills.
- Extending the life of your dryer vents and dryer.
- Reduce the drying time of your clothes.
- Prevent potential fire hazards and water damage.
- A clogged dryer vent may lead to a fire, so having your dryer vents thoroughly cleaned prevents the fire hazard.
- Clogged dryer vents will eventually overheat, leading to a variety of potential problems, so having your dryer vents cleaned will prevent overheating.
Hope everyone has a safe and warm week!